[rollei_list] Re: Back-Focus and Retro-Focus

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 18:00:08 -0400

At 04:52 PM 7/7/2008, Eric Goldstein wrote:
>Marc -
>
>It depends upon the design of the SLR. If you will recall the history
>of the early 35 mm SLRs, they featured longer "normal" lenses
>(55-58mm) so that there was sufficient clearance for the mirror. Then
>came the retrofocus versions.
>
>As Richard Knoppow pointed out, a very simple lens can be designed
>with enough back focus to clear an SLR mirror, but lenses with limited
>corrections are not what we are discussing here...

Eric

YOU are the one who has consistently raised retrofocus lenses as being necessary for normal lenses. You and Carlos have been off on a fast run through broken country. Perhaps the two of you mis-spoke but it seemed to this innocent soul that the both of you were stating that normal (80mm) lenses for medium-format cameras had to be of a retrofocus design. Yes, you said this. Yes, Carlos let this slide. Such is just not the case. Might I suggest that you review the bidding?

I would strongly urge you to reread my earlier posting. KW and Steenborgen (Exakta) produced the first miniature-format SLR's in the 1930's. The problem was in reducing mirror size while maintaining image brightness in the viewfinder. This took some engineering tip-toeing. In 1938, KW, after its forced sale to the German-American Nazi, Noble, contracted with Zeiss to develop a better lens mount than the original M40 TM used on the original Praktiflex miniature-format camera. One stated goal was to allow the use of a smaller mirror. In 1939, CZJ developed the original version of the 2/5.8cm Biotar lens in M42 as being the best compromise under the circumstance. CZJ suggested a couple of methods to allow shortening the mirror to allow the use of a 5cm lens as was then the norm on Leitz and Zeiss Ikon rangefinders. The War intervened. Postwar work allowed the large mirror and dim image of the Contax S to morph into the bright image and smaller mirror of the later Praktica and Praktina cameras with their 50mm normal lenses.

Richard Knoppow has been hopping into these discussions and you've just not been reading his postings. Retrofocus has nothing to do with the design of any of these normal lenses as the only limitation on SLR normal lenses is the size of the mirror and, by 1952, they knew how to do this to allow 50mm lenses to be the normal lenses for miniature-format cameras and 80mm lenses to be the normal ones for medium-format lenses.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!