[rollei_list] Re: B&W film developing

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 19:45:12 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Burck" <chris.burck@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 12:58 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: B&W film developing

Fascinating. Can't help but wonder what would have been, had Kodak been
unable to breach Agfa's patents.
On May 12, 2014 11:52 PM, "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My reference books are hiding in storage. Both AGFA and Kodak were working on color film from early on. Both had come up with additive films using a dyed starch reseau and a lenticular film. Both had problems especially in the area of duplicating. The main difference between the AGFA and Kodak multi-layer film was the method used to keep the couplers and resulting dye particals from wandering in the emulsion. AGFA attached the couplers to very long chain molecules that were too big to move in the gelatin. Kodak encapsulated the couplers in tiny oil droplets that served the same purpose. The two types of film require somewhat different methods of processing. The oil droplet film requires the color developer to have a solvent in it capable of penetrating the droplets. Both types of film were made for a few decades but eventually the Kodak type won out and is the type which currently survives. The method of sequestering the coupler is the same for both negative and reversal films. From what I can find on the web it appears that both Kodak and AGFA had working films using incorporated couplers by the mid 1930s but Kodak evidently was not satisfied with theirs and held off producing it for a few years. Note that Kodachrome does not have incorporated couplers; rather the couplers are in the reversal developers. Note developers plural because there are three of them. The development process is extremely complex but resulted in very good color quality. None of these films had any sort of masking. Kodak devised color masking about the late 1940s by means of colored couplers. The purpose of the masking is to compensate for spurious transmission by the dyes in order to improve both color purity and accuracy. Masking originally could be used only in color negative films and the colored coupler method is still confined to them but another method of compensating for the dyes was found by allowing interlayer reaction so that the production of dye in one layer results in a reduction of dye in the adjacent layer. This method can be applied to either negative or reversal films. Someone mentioned that some digital cameras make three bracked exposures to extend the dynamic range. In fact, many films, both B&W and color have two or three layers of emulsion, color films have them for each color, of differing speed, for the same purpose, that is extending the dynamic range. BTW, I have heard the story before that Kodak was able to use AGFA patents during WW-2 in order to make color aerial film. I think if this is true its because the AGFA film was ready for production while Kodak was still researching. At the time we entered WW-2 as a combatent AGFA was well established in the U.S. It had bought Ansco in 1926 and had holdings of DuPont chemical and other U.S. companies. See the history of I.G.Farben for more and for the Nazi connections of these companies.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles