[rollei_list] Re: B&W film developing

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 11:30:44 -0400

On May 17, 2014, at 10:48 PM, Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> At 07:30 PM 5/17/2014, Chris wrote:
>
>> "Nikkor being a lens."
>>
>> Oh, brother.  No wonder I couldn't figure out how to load my film!   :  D
>
> The strange thing is that during the time I used that can I wasn't sure who
> made it, still don't.  I am sure it wouldn't take good pictures, however.
>
> I do have some great binoculars, bought in Japan in 1954 that were copies of
> the B&L 7X50's used on the ship.  I used them when on watch.  The brand name
> is Nippon Kogaku, I think the precursor of Nikon, not sure.
>
> The case is falling apart and the glass is fogged, but Nikon refused to take
> them in for overhaul.  They are, however, out of warranty.  They were, when
> new, just as good as the American version.
>
> DAW

Nippon Kogaku is the name of the company that produced the Nikon camera line,
along with other optical goods, like binoculars.  They came to the attention of
the world market during the Korean War when well known correspondents, in Japan
for R&R and looking for replacements of their worn or damaged German cameras
and lenses, discovered Nikon gear to be all but equal to their Leica and Contax
counterparts and sometimes better.  Their lenses were called Nikkor.  For more
than 20 years, I did photography with Nikon equipment for my 35 mm requirements
(Rollei for most of the rest), found them to be completely reliable and the
optics of excellent quality.  Eventually, I had to go digital for professional
reasons, went with Nikon gear again.  Good for the purpose, I suppose, but the
relationship just ain’t the same.  My film Nikons (and especially the Rolleis)
were old friends, the new guys just things.  On the other hand, I was much
younger then, which might have something to do with my attitude.
However, I love my Nikon binoculars.  Really great glass.