[rodgersorgan] Re: resgitrations

  • From: WmMTexas@xxxxxxx
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 18:06:26 EDT

In a message dated 07/01/2003 3:59:38 PM Central Daylight Time,
gedeckt@xxxxxxxx writes:

<< But now.  Tell us who appointed the pipe organ as God's Instrument. >>

Thank you Noel, for your comment.  I wasn't going to say anything concerning
"God's Instrument", but you just gave me the go-ahead!
To me, "God's Instrument" is simply our voice, speaking and singing.
And some say Martin Luther brought the pipe organ over.  Well, it's a wonder
that boat didn't sink with all that weight on it; and just think how the
humidity in that boat effected all the pipes!  Mercy, what a thought.
I honestly don't care what religion, etc., if the church has an "organ" of
any kind in it, the main thing is that it can make music to lead that
congregation, and make them sing.  The instrument (whether pipe or digital)
must be able
to produce the sounds needed for the worship services, and give versatility
to that music.  "The Art of Registration" is where the knowledge of the
organist comes into play.  A good organist can make a bad organ sound halfway
decent.
 But a bad organist can also totally ruin the sound of a good organ.
Personally, I take the sounds I have available and make the most music I can
from them.  And yes, hopefully one day in the future we can take our 24 ranks
of pipes, add a few more ranks, and then add a fantastic Rodgers digital with
MIDI to it.  Oh, the possibilities of music available then to the organist,
other musicians, and the congregation!
There have been so many times I wished I had a Rodgers in my church to play
every Sunday.  Why?  Because of the limitations of this pipe organ.  Such as,
only 8' couplers; only 1 solo stop - a trumpet; no 2' pitches on the Swell;
only 2 - 16' stops in the pedal - one a soft Bourdon, then other a big
Bombarde;
the 3 general pistons; and the short keyboards - not full 61-notes.
Yep, I most the most with what I have to work with all the time, at times
really stretching my imagination!  And back to "God's Instrument"; I just
wonder
if up in Heaven God has a pipe organ or a Rodgers for Virgil Fox to
(laughing here also)
William Morris
Houston, Texas
!