[rodgersorgan] Re: resgitrations

  • From: noel jones <gedeckt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 16:58:47 -0400

God's Instrument?

Richard, you made me smile!

There have been those that think THE organ is an instrument of the devil...and
agree...to both.

It can be either.

Now as to whether the Pipe Organ itself is "better" than anything else...and
before we get a battle going...

There is no such thing as a pipe organ or a digital organ to people who are
listening.  And if they are listening to it because it IS a pipe...they have
their priorities in a strange place...unless it is an academic situation where
the product is not being studied but instead the process.

The pipe organ you are playing now is the best organ in your opinion because it
is the best one you are playing.

If you were playing a wonderful, musical digital organ and a poor, tiny,
underwinded, barely maintained pipe organ in a room with pew cushions, carpet,
heavy curtains and so on...and still felt this poor example of a pipe organ was
the best organ, God's Instrument...I'd say you are on the wrong list! But you
wouldn't be removed for this belief.

That raises the other bizarre question of when does a pipe organ become a pipe
organ! If it has pipes is it a pipe organ?  If it has digital and pipes...are
only a few of the stops God's Stops?

What maskes this even more interesting is that there are those who will tell
you
that the best organ in the world is the one in Atlantic City, the largest organ
of the world.  Ask them if they have ever heard it.

Do we need to mark the Devil's stops in red and God's in black, like we do
reeds
and flues?

Or is that why they are those colors in the first place.

Like I said, you made me smile.

Last evening I had to tell a recording engineer that the recording of the organ
and choir was not ruined because of a bad woofer on the last note.

It was the 32' Bombard...rattling away like a real pipe.  Would it be devilishh
to take away the godliness of it by voicing out the pipe noise?

Some one once said something about God creating Man to give him something
humorous...I know someone can come up with the correct quote.

But now.  Tell us who appointed the pipe organ as God's Instrument. It's a slow
Tuesday, wet and rainy here and hot and hazy other places in the Northern
Hemisphere and I don't even want to think about the weather in the Southern
one....

--
noel jones, aago
athens, tennessee, usa