[rodgersorgan] Commotion in the organ loft

  • From: "Stephen Janzen" <janzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 09:28:13 -0700

Hi all,  I've never put my 2 cents worth in until now.  But it's so sad I have
to laugh -- almost!  I agree with Noel Heinze that if you tolerate the noise
(be it talking, squeaking or otherwise noisy fans, etc.) you are an accomplice.
 It's kinda like if you live with an alcoholic and tolerate it you're a
co-dependent.

The ONLY time(s) in a service choirs should be "heard" is when they are
singing.  PERIOD.  NO DISCUSSION.

As for the talkative congregation, a friend of mine gave me a hint at what to
try.  By starting your prelude soft, and slowly building the organ to very
loud, and then suddenly taking your hands off the keys in a BIG "Grand Pause,"
you let them hear just how loud they really are talking, because as you build
the organ in volume, so they talk louder and louder.  I must say I did not
think it would work, but it did!  At least temporarily.

After about 3 months I had to try it again, and it worked again.  After the
third time the problem hardly existed at all, at least as long as I was there.
And I confess I had great fun pulling that stunt.  It was almost theraputic.
Admittedly, I did get some complaints about this, but I simply asked them if
they came to worship or to visit?  Only one or two complainees didn't back
down.  But that's okay.  You can't ever please everybody!

By the way, even though I don't have a Rodgers to play in my church (I have
Brand A), I enjoy the comments and suggestions by you all.

I'm presently Organist and Assistant Director of Music at St. Michael's
Episcopal Church in Carmichael, CA
-- a suburb of Sacramento -- where we have a 3-manual, 60 stop Allen (last
generation before Renaissance).  I also sing opera and oratorio professionally
on occasion.

I also have one question.  Does the PR-300S work only on Rodgers instruments?

Best regards,
Stephen Janzen
New low pricing on books and music for the Rodgers Organ at www.frogmusic.com