[rodgersorgan] Commotion in the organ loft

  • From: "Loose, Timothy" <TLoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:29:40 -0500

I wanted to hear what other Organists have experienced in this area, and
what (if anything) they do about it...

Our Rodgers 950 is installed in the balcony at the rear of the sanctuary,
with the organist's back to the altar; I use a mirror to see the "action".
The challenge is when choirs are seated in the balcony.  During the
postlude, and to a lesser extent during the prelude, the people in the
balcony talk amongst themselves, rattle chairs, etc and make a distracting
commotion.  The adult choir is actually worse than any of the children's
choirs!

Perhaps I am being overly sensitive or too easily distracted, but I know
that none of these individuals would even consider this sort of thing if a
choir were singing at that point.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Timothy Loose
Music Director
St. Paul Lutheran Church
Chicago, IL