[real-eyes] Re: Fw: Please post to real-eyes

  • From: bill stephan <wstephan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 09:23:41 -0500

-original message-
Subject: [real-eyes] Re: Fw: Please post to real-eyes
From: "Mitchell D. Lynn" <mlynn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09/01/2011 17:54

Is anyone sending this along to the news outlets?

From: Sheila Styron

I work as the public policy coordinator for The Whole Person and represent
this organization with the city on accessibility issues. It was in this
capacity that I contacted Sergeant Fuller, lead investigator for the August
31 traffic incident where Chip Block was fatally struck down.

This is what Sergeant Fuller told me about this accident, and this officer
had been unaware of Chip's visual impairment prior to speaking with me.

The events were clearly filmed by a Max bus camera. The driver, a woman with
two dogs in her car was proceeding from west to east on 31st with the sun in
her eyes. She was first in line for the left arrow and when she got it,
turned left. The crosswalk was apparently in some amount of shade, and she
hit Chip as he was walking across Main in the crosswalk from east to west
traveling along the north side of the intersection. The film of the incident
clearly shows that Chip did not have the light and was not running.

The intersection at 31st and Main is one where the city has been promising
to install an accessible pedestrian signal since around this time last year.
The Children's Center for Low Vision is right there along with the
Rehabilitation Institute. Consumer groups, orientation and mobility
instructors who train visually impaired people to travel safely and several
individuals all identified 31st and Main as a priority installation. The
city has been dragging its feet, and I recently spoke with the contractor
who has the job and says he has experienced difficulties being paid for his
work in a timely fashion. The most recent deadline for completion on a list
of 7 APS installations designated as priorities and including 31st and Main
is currently set for the end of September. I feel certain that this
heartbreaking untimely death could have most likely been avoided had there
been an accessible pedestrian signal at 31st and Main.

Sheila Styron, Public Policy Coordinator

The Whole Person

3420 Broadway Suite 105

Kansas City, MO 64111

Work: 816.561.0304