[pure-silver] Re: recessed lens board, was wide-angle lens for4x5

  • From: "Don Feinberg" <ducque@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 07:11:06 -0600

I gather that "I have a secret" that I haven't seen anyone else ever write about.

If you buy a couple of Forstner-style wood boring bits, imported Chinese versions of which are available very cheaply today, you almost trivially can get absolutely perfect, flat bottomed round holes for lensboard use.

I would not and do not recommend the Chinese-made Forstner bits for heavy duty, that is, regular day-to-day use. They don't stand up to it. But for making a couple of lensboards? Absolutely perfect. This includes making recessed lensboards **out of one piece of wood**. (Admittedly, I did once make a sample recessed lensboard on the *lathe* (metal lathe, of course), with nice chamfered walls to the recess, just for sport.)

Just remember to bore the larger holes -- to make the shoulders for rings, etc, if necessary -- first! :-) :-) :-) And "oh" -- it really is necessary to use a drill press and low speed; I use 300 rpm. Using a hand held drill will result in a total mess and is personally dangerous. Don't drill "through" from one side. First, drill the second side slightly, like 1 or 2 mm (1/16" or 3/32"), then drill through from the first side. That way, absolutely no splintering. Is that too obvious to mention?

I've been making lens boards this way for years. Consistently perfect, the first time. Of course, this only works in wood or plastic.

Alternatively, if you're going to use a saber saw to make lensboard holes, don't try to make your cut along the circumference. Rather, drill a smaller hole, like 1/2", in the center, then saw *radially*, from the center towards the circumference. Make about 25 such cuts; it is easy to stop cutting just clear of the circumference. Then it's easy to cut out the resulting wedges without sawing across the circumference, and you can readily finish things into a rather clean circle. This is not as nice, and is much more work, then using a Forstner bit. But it is much finer than trying to cut along the circumference, then sanding. Preferably, don't do this with plywood! Use a new, premium quality, fine kerf / fine tooth blade.

Don Feinberg
ducque@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

----- Original Message ----- From: "richard l. gifford" <rlgif@xxxxxxx>