[pure-silver] Re: recessed lens board, was wide-angle lens for4x5

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:46:47 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark" <aerialphotos@xxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 5:35 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: recessed lens board, was wide-angle lens for4x5

Don Feinberg wrote:

Peter -- the only problem with the hole saws occurs when there is a rabbett to be made for the retaining ring. Not for every lens, but if there is such need, then the hole saw won't work very well.

Well I don't know about the installation in that I am very new to large format, but if you needed the round hole a hole saw should be the thing. Just how big of a rabbett do you need once its cut? Looks like you could cut the hole with a hole saw and use a rabbetting bit in a router to zip around the hole. Then your whole problem of the hole is no problem. Mark

The rabbet is needed when the lensboard is thick and the mounting barrel of the shutter is not long enough to use a retaining ring or the flange on the back. Some lenses come with retainign rings but not flanges. The difference is that the flange can be mounted on the front using screws. Most flanges will work as well on the back of the lens.
I've always used a fly-cutter to make the holes. It has the advantage of being asjustable to the exact size needed and will cut a very clean hole. However, it won't do rabbeting.
Cutting lens boards, or even making them from scratch, is no trick if you have access to some woodworking machinery but can be daunting if you don't.

---