[pure-silver] Re: recessed lens board, was wide-angle lens for4x5

  • From: "richard l. gifford" <rlgif@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 15:24:49 -0600

Richard Knoppow wrote:

(snipped)
... Cutting lens boards, or even making them from scratch, is no trick if you have access to some woodworking machinery but can be daunting if you don't.

First timers shouldn't be daunted. Even before I retired myself away from access to several shops, I made my own boards out in the barn. I guess it's the combination of a lifetime of solving engineering design problems and the enjoyment of doing things the slow primitive way with this hobby. I made my first mounting hole by drilling lots of little holes and knocking out the plug and sanding to approx size. A real circle is not needed, just enough space for the threads, enough near misses to provide a shoulder to seat the ring, and excess ugly hole edges not big enough to allow a light leak. (Really, I carefully and proudly do pretty neat work but it's not necessary). I use a backing board (or front) to prevent splintering.

With patience (we are talking large format, aren't we?), all you really need is some kind of hand saw, some kind of beer-powered hand drill, and some kind of familiarity with the concept of a sanding block. Do all the detail work before parting off the piece so you have something to hold on to.

Admittedly I have not yet had to solve the problem of a rabbet. I do recall sanding a beveled edge on the hole to clear something once.

Thanks to all who made various helpful suggestions.

regards...   Dick Gifford