[pure-silver] Re: pure-silver FAQ (stopbath kills fixer)

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:57:17 -0500

jan2505 from Lloyd Erlick

At 06:55 PM 1/24/2005 , >Ralph W. Lambrecht wrote:
 I never understood why it is such a problem to repeat answers.
>Often, the question is slightly different anyway, or new information has
>come to light since the last time the question was asked. Also, these
>question always trigger new responses. Even repeated questions make for a
>lively discussion.

Yes, I completely agree. I have yet another reason. One of my motivations
for joining any such discussions as we find on this email list is that I
want to improve my ability to write on these subjects, and I also want to
improve my understanding. Writing helps. I don't mind writing about the
same thing repeatedly because it improves my skill and my understanding.
Plus of course I tend to be a blatherer anyway so it's only natural.

I really hate to see someone who has brought up a question being told to go
check some reference because someone else decides the question has been
asked once too often. I particularly object when it is an inexperienced
person, new to the field, perhaps an impressionable person like a teenager,
who is rebuffed this way. It's easy to ignore repetitious questions, and
there might be some garrulous old geezer like me who enjoys it anyway. It's
a sin to cause someone new to drop photography and study the violin.

... just because a few members get tired
>to repeat themselves!

It's easy not to repeat oneself. Read the next message, is all. I don't see
the need to prevent others from engaging on it if they'd like.

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326