[pure-silver] Re: donuts on prints

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 01:54:26 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shannon Stoney" <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 7:31 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] donuts on prints

Yet another weird mystery in the darkroom....

Today I noticed that there are these light-colored donuts right in the center of the prints I was making yesterday. They are Holga panoramas, so I was printing a five inch strip of 120 film by laying it on the glass negative carrier that's for 8x10 negatives. It has frosted glass, I guess to prevent newton rings or something. But now there are these other kinds of rings!

I was using the 135mm enlarging lens, which appeared to cover the negative fine. I had it stopped way down to f/32 though, because the head had to be so close to the print to make it only 12" long.

The head is a diffusion head.

Is it possible that this frosted glass is creating this problem? I have used it before and never noticed it before.

Another clue: I cleaned the frosted glass with Windex before printing. I think I got it all dry. But it's possible it was slightly dampish when I was printing. I printed three negative strips, and all three sets of prints have this strange anomaly on them.

You can see the phenomenon here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shannonstoney/490698167/

My partner said I should just say it was a picture of nuclear winter in Houston.

--shannon

   Or a flying saucer.
Mark Blackewell made the excellent suggestion of seeing if this artifact is on the negative. If it is NOT post some details of your enlarger. You said it was a diffusion type but there are several variations on that theme and some of them are capable of this sort of unevenness. I have some other ideas too but they are all pretty unlikely. If you can see the effect on the baseboard look back through the lens (using a dark filter if necessary) you may be able to see the cause.
   Maybe you have a plague of gremlins.

---