[pure-silver] Re: donuts on prints

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 22:38:20 -0700

Looks like Isaac himself is alive and well.

Jim

At 09:31 PM 5/8/2007 -0500, Shannon Stoney wrote:
Yet another weird mystery in the darkroom....

Today I noticed that there are these light-colored donuts right in the center of the prints I was making yesterday. They are Holga panoramas, so I was printing a five inch strip of 120 film by laying it on the glass negative carrier that's for 8x10 negatives. It has frosted glass, I guess to prevent newton rings or something. But now there are these other kinds of rings!

I was using the 135mm enlarging lens, which appeared to cover the negative fine. I had it stopped way down to f/32 though, because the head had to be so close to the print to make it only 12" long.

The head is a diffusion head.

Is it possible that this frosted glass is creating this problem? I have used it before and never noticed it before.

Another clue: I cleaned the frosted glass with Windex before printing. I think I got it all dry. But it's possible it was slightly dampish when I was printing. I printed three negative strips, and all three sets of prints have this strange anomaly on them.

You can see the phenomenon here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shannonstoney/490698167/

My partner said I should just say it was a picture of nuclear winter in Houston.

--shannon