[pure-silver] Re: DELTA 100 AS REPLACEMENT FOR Tmax 100

  • From: "Dana H. Myers" <dana.myers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 11:40:51 -0700

KironKid@xxxxxxx wrote:

>    I don't soup my own film anymore, but  when I did a couple of side by side
> tests between each of those films, I got  much nicer results with the Delta.
> The tonality was much better. I found the  T-Max negs to be flat and lifeless.

Funny this topic should come up right after I did a casual test of Delta 100 vs.
TMX.  I've been a long-time user of TMX, but figured it was about time to give
Delta 100 a try, so I shot a roll of each of snapshots last week in similar
light.  I exposed both films at EI 80 using the camera's meter (GA645).

I processed both films in small tanks using Xtol 1+1 at 68F; TMX for 9.5
minutes,
Delta 100 for 10.5 minutes.  Resulting negative contrast is similar though I
think
the Delta 100 has slightly more contrast.  Based on these subjective tests,
there
doesn't seem to be significant difference in characteristic curves between the
two films.  Both films scan *very* similarly for me, and both films have very
fine-grained image structure.  TMX appears slightly finer-grained, but that may
also be a result of Delta 100 being processed to a slightly higher contrast.

Shadow detail on both films appears very similar.

The two films probably aren't interchangeable, but they're much more
similar than different for me.

Of course, negative contrast is adjusted via development time.  I believe
a slightly shorter developing time for the Delta 100 would probably give
very close to the same neg contrast as TMX.

Kiron Kid:
If you're seeing substantially different contrast on TMX vs. Delta 100,
I'd have a look at the processing parameters and perhaps have your lab
extend development on the TMX 5-10% and see how it looks then.  Obviously,
if you're happy with Delta 100, there's no reason to invest effort in
TMX, though.

Dana