[pure-silver] Re: a recent problem with fine dust on negs

  • From: "Kurt J. Griffin" <kjg@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 22:30:59 -0700

That's an interesting question I hadn't even considered. They seem to be within the image. I didn't make a contact sheet to see if they showed up within the between-spaces. I'm looking through the back of an old enlarging lens for magnification, but later I'll print a whole strip and see if anything shows up I'm missing visually. Thank you, Richard.

Janet

Since it's quiet around here, I'll add my new thoughts. I had a similar problem last summer that has kept me puzzled, but which I now think I finally have figured out. I had larger spots (dark on neg, light on print) when I developed some 120 BxW:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kjgriffin/2630065990/in/photostream/

Despite this group's suggestions, I couldn't figure it out. It wasn't until I saw the comment that it had affected only your greys, not extreme blacks or whites that I went back to my rolls & saw that the same is true with my shots.

As I was washing film the other day, I realized just how many bubbles were in the water once I started drawing "cold" water that was in pipes outside the house at 36 C. I think my usual developing doesn't get the hotter water until near the end of the wash. When I looked at my records for the spotty film, it was a rare 2nd round of developing right after the first batch (which was fine). So, my new hypothesis is that the tap water I was using for a stop bath (to avoid potential pinholes) had bubbles coming out of solution and creating small areas where the developer was able to continue to act longer, producing the darker spots on the neg. The same must also have been happening on the toe/shoulder of the curve, but the curves are likely shallow enough not to show up in the print. That's my crackpot theory. Feel free to laugh until I can do the prospective experiment.

I don't know if this could cover your problems, but I could certainly see a change in dissolved gas or minerals between your two water sources. It stands to reason that something allowed small areas of extended/more intense development. In any event, I'm now collecting early water in a beaker and letting it settle for a while before I try to use it as a stop. No recurrence of the spots since then, which is what really matters.

Kurt Griffin
Tucson, AZ