[pure-silver] Re: a recent problem with fine dust on negs

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 17:48:13 -0500

Janet Cull wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2009, at 4:30 PM, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
>
>>> I was about to suggest something similar.  It almost looks like some
>>> of the chemistry was not completely dissolved - a condition caused
>>> by mixing the chemistry with water that is too cold.
>

> But the first roll I found to have this problem was processed in
> developer that had been mixed for some time.  I was getting near the
> bottom of the gallon of D76, so it couldn't have been that.  Same with
> all other chemicals used.
>
> The example I showed of the girl w/her animals was from the roll
> processed in newly mixed developer, but the problem did show up before.

Take that new developer and pour it into some clear containers.
Let it sit for a while.
See if there is crud on the bottom.

Merely because something was "mixed for some time" or "newly mixed" doesn't
tell the whole story.  If the stuff is not correctly mixed in the first
place, the chemistry can precipitate out over time.  I'm not saying
this is your problem, but is one you should eliminate immediately
by examining your chems and looking for solids in them.

I *always* mix every chemical I use with distilled water that has been
elevated in temperature to properly dissolve the chemistry.  Where practical,
I prefer liquid chemical concentrates to minimize this problem.