[pure-silver] Re: Wife brings home a garage sale camera

  • From: "Mark Blackwell" <markb1958@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 12:55:19 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2006 12:18 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Wife brings home a garage sale camera

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Blackwell" <markb1958@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2006 7:32 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Wife brings home a garage sale camera

Well its rare the wife is picking up camera gear, but for a grand total of 15 bucks she bought a Yashica MG-1. It came with 2 extra lenses, what they call a wide angle and a telephoto.

Several issues though. First is that I can not seem to find any kind of release to get the lens off. From the other lenses, it appears to have a screw mount lens, but if it just a screw mount it appears to be stuck on pretty tight. Ideas on getting it off.

Second is the issue of a battery. The battery in the case is a panasonic mercury battery HM-4N of 5.6 volts. Trouble is I don't think mercury batteries are available anymore. Any ideas on where something comparable might work.

The camera had no manual with it and I have not found a shutter speed adjustment. I see two lights with slow and over on it and a lever right next to it with something that looks like it might be a flash symbol and auto. Is this the shutter speed adjustment and if so how do you tell what it is. Or do you do like those of yesteryear and just guess. Makes you appreciate the speed of the modern SLR.

This kind of stuff is intriguing to me. I ususally end up spending way more than I should. Yet for 15 bucks I also got a slide projector that seems to work and a Sunpack 120 I haven't checked yet.

I did a Google search and found: An operating manual on-line at: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/yashica_mg-1/yashica_mg-1.htm However, this does not show interchangeable lenses.

A catalogue list at: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/9379/yashica/yashicamg1.htm
Again, no mention of interchangeable lenses.

CRIS has a battery adapter for the MG-1, I have no idea of how much it costs:
http://www.criscam.com/old/hm-4ncomp.htm

  You may be able to get an original manual from John Craig
http://www.craigcamera.com

I wonder if there were two versions of this camera, one with and one without interchangeable lenses.

---

Richard I did look further and as the previous reply stated they do seem to screw on to the front of the 45mm lens that was there. Just seemed counter productive from an optical stand point to have a lens over a lens.