[pure-silver] Re: Wife brings home a garage sale camera

  • From: "Jim MacKenzie" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 13:38:29 -0600

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 1:34 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Wife brings home a garage sale camera

By constant I mean as the batteries fade in life: they give out lower
and lower voltages. So a brand new battery gives out a higher voltage
then an old battery. The mercury cells always gave out the same until
they would die.

  Or so that's how someone explained it to me.. I dunno, I'm a lover,
not an electrode. ;-)

:)

That's exactly how both silver oxide and mercuric oxide batteries work. The voltage is constant. As the battery gets drained, the amperage (the force of the current) diminishes until the battery dies.

Alkaline batteries give a more or less constant amperage (force) but the voltage fades.

The CRIS adapter reduces the voltage of the silver oxide cell from 1.55 V to 1.35 V, to match that of a mercury battery. Alkalines start at 1.5 and drop down to ... well, it depends on how far your device will let them get; less than 1 volt is possible.

Why the adapter doesn't work in your meter is a mystery.

Jim