[pure-silver] Re: Sally Mann lecture in Houston

  • From: Shannon Stoney <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 09:09:24 -0500

hi,

On the contrary, this can go somewhere but no in the direction it's headed. I think that some very important issues have been raised concerning our cultural values as concerns sexuality, exploitation of said sexuality, capitalism, issues of consent and responsibility in the context of a family and of society, in general, and finally, our own moral stance vis-a is issues of privacy, voyeurism, truth, and even more so when it concerns the actions of one of our own, well, a very prominent one of our own ;)

I was thinking that photography has a special responsibility in this regard, as opposed to say painting. A painting of a little girl posed as an odalisque on a sofa is different from a photograph of a particular girl on a particular sofa at a particular time. A painting of a girl is often sort of a generalized idea of a girl. Sometimes you can recognize the model, but most of the time the painting in effect says "young girl" not "Jessica Mann." This is why at life drawing classes, the models don't mind if you draw them, but often they refuse to be photographed. A photograph is always of a particular individual, with a name. People can easily be recognized in their photographs, as opposed to in paintings, say. A very realistic painting can make the person recognizable, obviously, but we understand paintings to be "made up" as it were, composed perhaps of elements from different places, from the painter's imagination, etc.

Now of course, people like Sally Mann and other academic and art world types allege that photography is always fiction and that anybody who thinks that photography represents truth is a naif. But Barthes, hardly a naif, pointed out that in photography, the image in the photograph has to represent something that was in front of the lens at one time. (Forget photoshop for now.) As he says, "The referent adheres." So when we see a picture of Jessica Mann in the nude at age 11, hanging from a hay hook or posed as an odalisque on a sofa, we know that that is Jessica Mann, not a generic girl. Now that Jessica Mann is 25 or something, we still have a picture of her at age 11, posed in a sexually provocative way. She can never escape this record of herself at that age: it's in the culture in such a way that it can't be retracted. Imagine yourself in this situation, and think about how that would feel.

This is why I think that such photographs should not be made. When you are five, or seven or eleven, you can't understand how a sexually provocative photograph of yourself might be used in the world at large. You don't know anything about sex, or men, or mass culture, or voyeurism, or capitalism. You trust your parents. So you agree. Then, fifteen years later, you do understand. You see these photographs on other people's coffee tables, maybe hanging on their walls. Your mother continues to show them as part of her slide show to strangers in other cities. And you are still Jessica Mann, the girl that was in those 1992 pictures. You can't escape this. You will always be the beautiful naked child in the pictures. This is how most people think of you: as this beautiful naked vulnerable child.

Put the sexualization issue aside for a minute. Some people might say: what's wrong with being beautiful? The problem is: you know that it's something unearned, a lucky accident of birth and genes, nothing that you have any control over, and it could be taken from you in an instant, and it will be taken from you eventually by time, and then what will you have? If your whole identity is your appearance, you are not being loved for who you are, for the content of your character as MLK said, but for your curly golden hair and slim nubile body. This is bad and demeaning.

If I were these girls, I would feel betrayed by my parents and very angry. I woiuld be working hard to forge an identity separate from the one my parent created for me. I think the girls are probably doing that and good luck to them. Some child stars have managed to do this, but it's a hard row to hoe. I think it would be better if we didn't define little girls primarily as objects to be looked at by older men in the first place. Let's face it: men are the audience for these pictures. Little boys don't give a fig about naked little girls their own age. Pictures of beautiful naked little girls are commodities for mature men to look at.

--shannon