[pure-silver] Sally Mann lecture in Houston

  • From: Shannon Stoney <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 12:28:01 -0500

I'm ready to talk.

I went to a lecture on Friday night by Sally Mann, sort of a slide show retrospective of her work to date. It was organized by the new visual studies program at the University of Houston.

The advertisement for the lecture did not mention her book Immediate Family so I thought she had decided not to show those pictures or talk about them. But she did. Right before that, she talked about the previous book, At Twelve. She said that when she was making these pictures, that she was surprised at how sexualized the life of these twelve year old girls was. She seemed to deplore this. she said that one of the subjects had been raped by her stepfather, who was also in the picture!

Then she proceeded to show the pictures of her own daughters, often in highly sexualized poses themselves. Of course I had seen these pictures before. But I was struck by the contradiction between what Mann was saying about the early sexualization of girls, and her own practise. (I have recently read a report by the American Psychologists Association that condemns the sexualization of girls in the media and in clothing, a problem they say has gotten worse and that endangers the self-esteem, mental and physical health, and academic performance of girls.) So I asked about that during the Q and A. She was pretty defensive and said that in her photography it was NUDITY, not SEXUALITY, and basically that only people on the religious right have a problem with the pictures. I said I was not a religious right nut case, and that I thought you could object to the pictures on feminist grounds, and on the grounds that a five year old could not give her informed consent to being photographed in this way, and that it seemed exploitative since there was such a power imbalance between the photographer/parent and the child. She countered that all portrait photography was inherently exploitative!

I don't buy it. Her example was Steigltiz photographing JP Morgan and making it look as if he was holding a dagger. But Steiglitz and Morgan were evenly matched; maybe Steiglitz was less powerful than Morgan. This seems a lot different from a parent posing a child in seductive poses. Mann claims sometimes that her children were just running around naked on a farm and that her pictures were essentially snapshots made with a big camera, but at other times she told of the elaborate posing and long shoots and multiple tries to get the right shot, etc. One of the pictures showed Jessie posed on a sofa, nude, with her hand over her crotch, just like an odalisque. How can Mann claim that this is just nudity and not sexuality?

The next day I searched on the internet to try to find any other viewers who thought that Mann was out of line, photographing her daughters in such sexually suggestive ways. I found only one scholarly article, and it hailed her as a feminist heroine, for doing things that mothers weren't supposed to do!! Huh?!? A woman who offers her daughters as sexual objects is a *feminist*?!?

Going back in the New York Times archives, I found several parents and psychologists and doctors who wrote letters to the times in 1992 saying that they thought taking pictures of one's nude children was not a good idea for the mental health of the child. One letter suggested that Mann herself may have been abused, as she can't remember her childhood, except that her dad photographed her in the nude. She said in the lecture that she felt unloved and neglected by her parents and that the only person who loved her was the maid. Yet she seemed to idealize her father.

What I did not find were any articles by female scholars or critics saying that this kind of objectification of young girls is not feminist and not healthy for the girl or for the culture. I am ashamed that my fellow female academics are afraid to criticize a successful artist. Surely I am not the only one who cringes at the thought of doing that to a child of my own. But, why, why, are women artists so silent about this? Is it because we're afraid of being seen as part of the religious right? Or of giving aid and comfort to censors? Just for the record: I had no problem with Mapplethorpe's portraits of gay men doing disturbing things. I thought they were beautiful photographs, ,although disturbing. But the men in them were adults and presumably fully aware of what they were participating in. I think Sally Mann's photographs are usually technically excellent, and her landscapes are fine, but I really object to the sexualized portrayal of her daughters. Also I think I have a problem with her photographs of dead people at the forensic farm in TN. That seems a little exploitative too.

But my question for this list is: why are artists and academics giving Sally Mann a pass? Or have I failed to find all the articles and essays examining the moral implications of this work? And why do audiences at lectures like this seem to want only to flatter the visiting artist/star, and not to ask hard questions of her? Does being successful financially make an artist off limits to criticism from artists and scholars? Are women artists (presumably some of them mothers) reluctant to criticize another artist/mother?

--shannon