[pure-silver] Re: Sally Mann lecture in Houston

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 23:45:13 -0400

hi,

On the contrary, this can go somewhere but no in the direction it's headed. I think that some very important issues have been raised concerning our cultural values as concerns sexuality, exploitation of said sexuality, capitalism, issues of consent and responsibility in the context of a family and of society, in general, and finally, our own moral stance vis-a is issues of privacy, voyeurism, truth, and even more so when it concerns the actions of one of our own, well, a very prominent one of our own ;) I don't see the objective as a arriving at a right or wrong. All I know about Sally Mann, is through her pictures. I learnt some facts about her life this evening, are they relevant, I don't know and it's not for me to judge. But I know nothing about Sally Mann. But I know her images, her own reaction to her images, our reaction to those images, and there is one because I won't be sitting here typing, all this raises issues about what we do as humans who have chosen this particular form of expression. For some, it is a calling to a form of meditation and spirituality, for others, a creativity and art, for some, it means giving up one thing for the other, photography (A. Adams gave up the piano), why a camera and not a paint brush?, some have a message to transmit, How I go about doing what I do.... and so many other questions.

I am reminded of the reaction of many indigenous populations to the arrival of the "white man" who would steal their soul with his camera. It would be in his possession, on a piece of film or paper. What are we trying to do when we photograph somebody. Yosef Karsh was great because he captured your soul. It can be seen as a power trip.... for some...

It's not cut and dry. No right or wrong. But belief systems (call it what you want, religion, values, ethics...) do exist and we cannot ignore that in the equation and we cannot be reductionist about this and reduce it a right or wrong.

Anyway, it's would be nice to discuss and entertain some interesting ideas.

I'm on the East Coast, s in my time zone, it is late. I'll let the West coast carry this further just as our European confreres will soon be coming on line

Cheers,
Bogdan

J Neilsen wrote:
"This can go now where", should be can go NO where".
Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street
Suite 9
Dallas, TX 75226