[pure-silver] Re: Nostalgia For 5 Papers

  • From: Myron Gochnauer <goch@xxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 09:48:49 -0400

On 2011-01-28, at 10:01 PM, Jean-David Beyer wrote
> 2.) One version of New Oriental Seagull. Good curve shape, good color,
> pleasant surface.

My best silver prints from 35mm negatives were on Oriental Seagull #3 from the
late 1980's.  When coupled with TMY it had a clarity or richness that made it
seem as though there were nothing between the image and the eye.  I don't know
why it gave me this impression more than other papers or even other grades of
Seagull grade.  It was, for me, the "Leica of papers".

I have not tried "New" Oriental Seagull.  How does it compare with the #3 I
liked so much?

Myron