[pure-silver] Re: Nostalgia For 5 Papers

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 17:35:36 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gerald Koch" <gerald.koch@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2011 12:19 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Nostalgia For 5 Papers

When I was eleven my parents gave me an a b c Photo Lab Kit. It contained a contact printer, trays, thermometer, graduate, Velox paper and Trichem packs. It was my initial entry into developing my own film and making prints. A few
years ago, I was able to purchase an unused kit on ebay.

Jerry

My experience was similar. My dad took a photography course offered by the Boy Scouts I think. He brought home a Kodak darkroom in a box. He never did anything with it but I set up in the basement and developed a roll of film and printed it. I think it was 127 size Verichrome. The kit was minimal, it had a ruby lamp, a small printing frame, three small trays, a couple of film clips, a package of Velox, a couple of Tri-Chem-Paks and maybe a couple of other items, I don't remember for sure. I still remember seeing the film come up in the developer. It seemed to take forever but was probably only about five minutes. I made prints using a light bulb as a source. I have no idea what the pictures were of, probably just the front of the house. I must have been about eight. I had had some exposure (no pun intended) to photography earlier than that but it was the first time I actually worked the process. I am seventy now and its still magic.