[pure-silver] Re: Loading Jobo Reels

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 08:43:31 -0400

At 02:16 AM 10/19/2005 , you wrote:
>Ok, so I took the advice of some helpful people on list and went a
>little Ebayzy. I now have quite a few Jobo 2500 series tanks and reels.
>These allow one to use significnatly less chemicals than the 1500 series
>tanks.  To maximize efficiency, though, I'll need to load 2 rolls of 120
>format on each reel. So how is this done? Do you load one film and then
>immediately put the other on behind it? Or do you load one all the way
>to the center, push in the red tab, and then load the other one? Any
>advice appreciated.

October 21, 2005, from Lloyd Erlick,

I load two rolls of 120 film onto the Jobo 1500 developing spirals
frequently. I use a lift and lower system to develop five reels loaded with
ten rolls of film. It's very convenient because ten rolls develop in three
liters of solution. I use Xtol diluted 1+2, so one liter of developer is
needed. I prepare five litres from the Xtol pack, so by storing the five
litres in one liter bottles I have a fairly convenient system. I set up my
fixers so they are convenient for fifty rolls of film, like the developer ...

Anyway, loading the 1500 reels with two rolls of film ... the first roll
must be advanced all the way to the core before the next roll is loaded.
The second roll advances just like the first, if all goes well. Usually
there is nothing more to it.

The red tabs seem to be present to prevent the second roll from overlapping
the first. I found the tabs useless -- I never had rolls overlap, before or
after I removed the red tabs from all my reels. In the dark, however, it
was very easy to inadvertently close the tab while loading film. This made
it very difficult to load the second roll! Constantly checking the tabs was
a lot more bother than removing them.

Sometimes film binds up while being loaded into these reels. I suppose
that's par for the course no matter which reels are being used. I have
noticed it most often happens with film that is powerfully curled. The
leading edge curls under too much and the forward corners leave the 'track'
as they advance down the grooves of the spiral. Usually pulling the film
backwards an inch or two will get it back. Sometimes I twist and pull the
two halves of the reel and it slips back into position. Sometimes I have to
back the roll out and try it again, perhaps from the other end of the film
strip. These are the rare rolls, though. Most load up easily. The fact that
another roll has already been loaded into a spiral does not seem to make it
any more likely the second roll will bind up on entry, though.

It's essential the reels are dry before loading film. It's also essential
the first roll be all the way in before loading the second.

This method gives one a really clear idea how long its taking tolod film
ontl spirals. If I'm out of practice, ten rolls will take an hour or more.
If I've been doing lots of work, I can do it in hlalf an hour or even
twenty mionutes.

I've got a couple of dozen of these reels. I've been using them for about
twenty years, I think.

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.