[pure-silver] Kodak Enlarging Lens

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pure-Silver Free" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 00:14:01 -0700

Last week I picked up a Kodak Enlarging Ektar at one of the local camera sales. I wanted to test it against my Schneider Componon. The lens was in excellent conditioni and was a late one. The date code indicates it was made in 1958, Kodak discontinued consumer lenses sometime in the early or mid 1960's. Its a 75mm, f/4.5 lens. My main lens for 2-1/4 x 1-1/4 is a Schneider Componon 80mm, f/5.6, one of the older chrome barrel type. The serial number indicates it was built sometime between 1961 and 1963. I've had this lens for a long time and its been quite satisfactory.
My preliminary test was to examine both film grain and image using a high magnification grain focuser with the enlarger set for about 8x10 prints. Result: the two are very close but I think the old Kodak lens may be slightly better. I was surprized that the effect of diffraction blur is visible when going from f/8 to f/11. The effect is slight but unmistakable when examining the grain. The difference is greater for the Kodak lens suggesting it is has somewhat higher resolution.
The Schneider lens is of the Plasmat type, six elements in four groups, the Kodak lens is a Heliar, five elements in three groups. In principle the Plasmat should have somewhat better performance at the margins but both lenses are operating will within their angular field limits.
I can't say I am surprized. The Kodak Enlarging Ektar series was intended for high quality color printing and the lenses are very well corrected, its just interesting to see just how good this old timer is.
More when I do some actual printing with it.

---