[pure-silver] Re: Fog

  • From: Shannon Stoney <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:58:24 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shannon Stoney" <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 6:12 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Fog

I have been shooting with a renovated Rollei TLR from the thirties. Some of the exposures look fogged, but the fog does not appear to be coming from a leak in the camera. It is only in the area where the lens can expose the film. I wonder what is causing this? It is not consistent on a given roll of film; it is only on a few exposures usually. I wonder if it might have to do with the fact that the lens is probably uncoated?

--shannon

I don't think its the lens but check it by shining a flashlight through it while the shutter is on B (or T if its an olde enough camera). The lens should be crystal clear. If it shows any haze inside the haze will reduce contast a surprizing amount. However, it will affect all frames. Usually this haze is easy to clean off but, if its in the front cell, requires some disassembly.
Usually light leaks show up as streaks or bars in a part of the image. If you are getting this check the back to see if its warped. Also check along the inner edge of the upper part of the back, it has a black yarn light seal. Both the "old standard" and later Rolleis have this seal.
Also check for shiny areas in the camera box that could be reflecting light from the lens

There is a very shiny area in fact, screwed to the back. I think that might be the culprit. It is exactly the size of a frame of film and it is exactly opposite the lens. What were they thinking? Could this be a replacement part that was not painted black? I will paint it as you describe below.

Thanks,

--shannon

. If the anti-reflection paint is missing somewhere replace it with Krylon Ultra-Flat-Black, a very good light absorber. This material is available only in spray cans so you must spray some into a small container and use a brush to paint the camera. One way to look for leaks is to tape a bit of white writing paper to the film back plate, close the camera, and, while looking into the camera through the lens, shine a strong flashlight around the back. It is extremely unlikely that there is a leak on the front but it can be checked simply by opening the back and shining a strong light around the front.
Check the Ferdi Sutterheim's Rollei site at http://www.rollei-gallery.net/
You can identify the model from http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/rollei/rolleiflex/reflexmodel.htm

Also, consider joining one of the Rolleiflex mailing lists. I am co-administrator of one at:

//www.freelists.org/list/rollei_list

---