[pure-silver] Re: Fog

  • From: Shannon Stoney <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 14:50:39 -0500

> > There is a very shiny area in fact, screwed to the back. I think
 that might be the culprit.  It is exactly the size of a frame of film
 and it is exactly opposite the lens. What were they thinking?  Could
 this be a replacement part that was not painted black?  I will paint
 it as you describe below.

Shannon, I think that is a bad idea. The "shiny area" is plated so that it will be slippery for the film to slide across. Painting it will make it less slippery and tighter, which may lead to scratching.

It is presumably all on the back side of the film, so the anti-halation
coating on the film will keep the light from bouncing around.

Is it possible that you either (a) shot into the sun on some shots, without a
lens hood or other means of blocking the light, and got lens flare? (this
would indeed be worse with an uncoated lens), or (b) have a shutter that is
intermittently sluggish, that allows too much light in on some frames?

Yes, I think it happens more when I am shooting into the sun. I wondered if the uncoated lens would make this worse. i do this sometimes with modern lenses and it causes moderate flare, sometimes UFO type objects appearing in the negative.

--shannon

Good luck, Leigh