[pure-silver] Re: Fog

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:14:22 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shannon Stoney" <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 2:54 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Fog

I just processed some rolls from that old Rollei, and the bars of fog are there that Richard mentioned are there. I think this happens because sometimes the latch at the bottom comes loose a bit. There is a thing that slides over it that is supposed to keep the back latched, but sometimes that thing slides over a bit and then the back is a bit loose. Is there any way to lock this closed? Maybe I should just tape it.

--shannon

On the "old standard" the latch simply slides up, there is no lock. Later Rolleis, I think beginning with the Automat (about 1938) have the more elaborate latch with a sliding lock.
If you have the older version you can tighten the latch to prevent its turning by tightening the nut that holds it in place. This has slots in it for a spanner. You can make a spanner by filing a bit of sheet brass. This is better than trying with a pair of screwdrivers since it won't slip and cause damage. Once this is done you can tighten up the latch (if it needs tighening) by bending the tab that fits the pin on the camera body a little.
These old cameras are still capable of excellent work. The old Tessars with which they are equipped are excellent if clean. Also, the old standard (which is what I think you have) is light weight and easy to use. Parts are available. You should probably take this to one of the Roleiflex discussion lists where you will get lots of help.

---