[pure-silver] Re: Film Still Wins ... Even Compared To Leica 18MPix

  • From: "Edward C. Zimmermann" <edz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 12:07:18 +0200

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 10:48:19 +0200, Snoopy wrote

> They are two entirely different media each with their own pros and cons
> and "suitable" applications.

They are different just as video and cinema are but sold as replacements. Even
commercial 16mm film, however, today has moved over to a video/digital
workflow with Super16mm as capture format.

I don't know anyone that still uses flatbeds (e.g. Steenbeck) or uprights
(e.g. Moviola)--- the art and amateur crowd is still 8/16mm and viewers such
as the Zeiss Moviscop when they are not using a digital workflow.

Increasingly the independent filmmakers I know are moving towards digital
photo cameras built into HD video cameras, for example as a Canon EOS 5d +
Chrosziel follow focus + controller/view finder alongside "old school"
handheld cameras such as the Bolex (which everyone owns). Small art cinemas
are vanishing so the target media is more and more HD Internet streaming
alongside classical TV broadcasting...

> I feel the biggest mistake of the digital industry was their
> marketing claiming to be a film replacement. This was quickly

Why mistake? It worked.. just as the Sony et al sold video as a replacement
for film back in the 1970s...

> unmasked as a marketing lie and attracted plenty of (justified)
>  ridicule from the film crowd.

Which don't and never mattered...

> Instead they should have focussed on the aspects of digital where it
> does score, like speed and workflow. For example a press photographer

They have as well... Newspapers were all very early adopters of digital
workflows..

One should never confuse marketing with consumer protection. The vendors of
digital cameras want to sell product. That the baby and kids pictures of today
taken even with a Leica M9 won't probably survive to show their children is
not their "job" to bring up... Don't want to mess with people's happiness:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/10108551.stm

--

Edward C. Zimmermann, NONMONOTONIC LAB