[pure-silver] Re: Film Still Wins ... Even Compared To Leica 18MPix

  • From: "pdesmidt tds.net" <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 12:40:08 -0500

I wrote "some of the fears about the loss of digital files are ungrounded."
That doesn't entail that all of them are.

Having redundant hard drives does not entail using a RAID system.
Personally, my files are stored on two hard drives in my computer tower
which are not part of a raid system, two external hard drives, and online on
Mozy home, and many of my early files are also backed up on CD or DVDs.   Is
this system perfect?  No.  All of my hard drives and optical media could be
destroyed right at the same time that Mozy goes out of business.  That
doesn't seem too likely, though.  And unlike my negatives, copies of the
files would survive the complete destruction of my house.  And, oh yeah, I
also have negatives for many of my digital files.  All-in-all, my images are
safer now than they were 15 years ago, where I only had negatives and
prints.