[pure-silver] Re: Film Still Wins ... Even Compared To Leica 18MPix

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 18:01:39 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Badcock" <peter.badcock@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 5:45 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Film Still Wins ... Even Compared To Leica 18MPix

The author claims that

"*We know that there is a tight correlation between the recording of fine detail and the sharpness of the edge of major subject outlines. The more resolution you have, the better the edge contrast and thus the overall image
sharpness.* "

I thought Barry Thornton debunked that myth in his book Edge of Darkness. Barry has example photos using Kodak Technical Pan 25 ASA film exhibiting less sharpness than higher ASA films. Of course Technpan has more
resolution/finer grain.

rgds
Peter

On 2 June 2010 06:45, Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://www.imx.nl/photo/Film/page169/page169.html

Barry Thornton must have re-invented the wheel. The point was made by C.E.K Mees, of Kodak Research Laboratories, in the 1940s, if not before. The term "acutance" was invented by Kodak to mean the effect of edge contrast on "perceived" sharpness. It applies to film but a similar effect is produced in digital processing. In fact, "sharpness" and edge contrast are only partly related. Its quite possible for a film or a lens to have very high resolution but poor acutance. The oldest illustration of this is in a book on basic photography by Mees (although I think its a doctored illustration). Its of interest that the distortion of edges by high acutance developers can actually reduce resolution.