[pure-silver] Re: De-ionised versus distilled water for XTOL

  • From: Peter Badcock <peter.badcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 15:54:26 +1100

Thank you Cor,Claudio,Horst,Harry,Howard,Laurence,Dana and Jim for replying.

After a bit of reading, the resins used in the deionising process are
classified as either Cation or Anion resins for removing the positively or
negatively charged ions.   So as long as the metals are dissolved ions they
should be removed.
Any decent demineralising company would hopefully also filter out any solid
metal/particulates by mechanical filters with maxium pore sizes.

Harry, the KDF-55 filter material contains copper and zinc and removes iron
but not copper (in fact it may even increase the amount of copper in the
water !).  I have some KDF-55 filter material to remove chlorine in our
shower.  The story behind KDF's recent serendipitous discovery is
interesting.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kdf-55#History

While XTOL is certainly cheap, I am not betting that Kodak will be making
it for much longer which is why I am trying things to extend the shelf life
of the stock sol'n (I'm confident the packaged stuff will last at least 10
years).  Perhaps Cor, I'll also invest in some smaller brown glass bottles
too.

rgds
Peter