[pure-silver] De-ionised versus distilled water for XTOL

  • From: Peter Badcock <peter.badcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 23:13:16 +1100

Hi folks,

When I mix up my XTOL, I would like to start using water with less metals
in it (such as iron and copper) to give it the longest possible life.
 Apparently sudden death is caused by the Fenton reaction which is
catalysed by the presence of those metals.  Aside from not using up the 5L
XTOL within 6 months (I would need to develop at least 1 roll per week
(@1+2 dil'n) to use it all up in that time), and with Kodak on the verge of
chapter 11 bankruptcy, I need to make what I have last.

De-ionised water is cheaper and more readily available.  So does the
de-ionising process remove metals such as iron and copper from the water ?
 I can understand how distilling would remove the metal, but I'm unsure if
the resins used to de-ionise will remove metals (dissolved or not).
Up until now I have been using water filtered through a dual cartridge
undersink filter with "one granular activated carbon cartridge and one
carbon block cartridge."

thanks
Peter