[pure-silver] Re: DELTA 100 AS REPLACEMENT FOR Tmax 100

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 09:13:18 -0700

Yes, there's no processing difference between diXactol & diXactol Ultra. And sorry, I do not know of any other information source. I liked what I read in Edge of Darkness and started experimenting with Barry's various developers and comparing the results with what I was using, which was, Rodinal, Xtol, D76 1:x, Windisch, Buetler, etc. I found that Barry's diXactol formula was both very easy to use and allowed me a greater degree of freedom (allowed me to make mistakes and easily recover). One thing that I would warn about is that under exposure cannot be fixed! diXactol is very overexposure tolerant and underexposure intolerant, so always err on the side of more exposure. Pretty much like any compensating development process. If you are going to underexpose (push) your film, you need to use a developer that is formulated to dig out every photon hit Ag halide molecule. Such as Accufine.

The other Barry book that I have, and really like, is 'Elements'.

Jim

At 11:15 PM 5/8/2007 -0700, Gary W. Marklund wrote:
Jim,

As I'm considering a switch from T-Max 100 and T-Max RS to Ilford film so I've been looking for a new developer. I've done some work with Pyrocat-HD. Based on your recommendation, I've ordered the diXactol Ultra. In The Edge of Darkness, Thornton refers to plain diXactol. Do I just treat the Ultra the same for starting purposes? The plan is to use FP4+ for 4x5 work and HP5+ for 8x10. Any other references besides the above book you would recommend? Discussion groups or forums?

Thanks,
Gary