[pure-silver] Re: Contrast grades

  • From: "Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee" <michaelandpaula@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 19:54:53 -0400

Contrast grades can vary significantly from manufacturer to manufacturer.

The paper we have had made in the last few years, Lodima, which is the sliver chloride replacement for Kodak's Azo, is currently in grades 2 and 3, both of which are softer than the grades of enlarging paper. We have just ordered a grade 4, which will be a little contrastier than an enlarging paper grade 3. There are ANSI standards for grades, but we have gone with what prints the best. Silver chloride papers are contact printing papers, with extremely long tonal scales and very rich blacks. We feel Lodima paper is the most beautiful paper available since the early 1940s. It has a slightly warm tone when developed in Amidol with the formula I devised. Here is a link: http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/newpaper.html

Michael A. Smith

On 7/26/13 4:48 PM, BOB KISS wrote:

*DEAR MARK,*

* Fasten your seatbelt because, when Richard gets home from work, he will give you a thorough description of the methods used to determine paper contrasts for both graded and VC paper. *

* However, in summary, although there are standards of how manufacturers are supposed to determine contrast of their papers, the reality is that, from manufacturer to manufacturer, there are significant variations of the contrast of both graded paper and VC papers for each "number" claimed by them. *

*As long ago as Adam's books, The Print and The Negative, he talked about the significant variations of contrast of #2 papers from manufacturer to manufacturer. Recall that his zone system was based on trying to produce a neg that print nearly perfectly on a "middle" contrast paper and he aimed his process at #2 contrast graded paper. *

*I pass the scepter to Richard...*

*                        CHEERS!*

*BOB*

**