[pure-silver] Contrast grades

  • From: Sauerwald Mark <mark_sauerwald@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 11:09:27 -0700 (PDT)

I understand how a higher number for the contrast of a paper, or for variable
contrast papers, using a filter for the higher grade results in a higher
contrast print.   What I am wondering is if there is any objective measure of
what a contrast grade of 'N' is.   If I use contrast grade 3 paper from one
manufacturer, will I see the same contrast as if I use grade 3 from another
manufacturer?

I imagine that plotting the exposure vs density you would be able to measure
the slope of the curve at some point (perhaps when the density is at a
predefined level,) and the steeper the slope, the greater the contrast - and
you could define the contrast grades by defining this gradient for each grade
has that been done?  If so, where is it documented?

Mark