[pure-silver] Re: Contrast grades

  • From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 16:48:07 -0400

DEAR MARK,

            Fasten your seatbelt because, when Richard gets home from work,
he will give you a thorough description of the methods used to determine
paper contrasts for both graded and VC paper.

            However, in summary, although there are standards of how
manufacturers are supposed to determine contrast of their papers, the
reality is that, from manufacturer to manufacturer, there are significant
variations of the contrast of both graded paper and VC papers for each
"number" claimed by them.

As long ago as Adam's books, The Print and The Negative, he talked about the
significant variations of contrast of #2 papers from manufacturer to
manufacturer.  Recall that his zone system was based on trying to produce a
neg that print nearly perfectly on a "middle" contrast paper and he aimed
his process at #2 contrast graded paper.

I pass the scepter to Richard.

                        CHEERS!

                                    BOB

  _____