[pure-silver] Re: Agfa Paper Equivalent

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 20:27:18 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "john stockdale" <j.sto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 3:55 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Agfa Paper Equivalent

At 08:17 AM  10/06/2008, Richard wrote:
.

At one time AGFA contrast numbers were one number higher than Kodak for the same contrast, i.e., AGFA No.3 was the same as Kodak No.2 but AGFA changed this many years ago (1980s I think but am not certain).

 ---
 Richard Knoppow

Maybe that has something to do with their film development instructions leading to eccessive contrast. I'm sure that turned many people off Agfa films, quite unnecessarily.

I dont' think so because the descriptions of the grades were correct, i.e., No.3 was described as Normal. I don't know what AGFA's target gamma was for its development. Late film data is for a gamma of about 0.6 which is OK for contact printing or diffusion enlarging. However, gamma and Contrast Index or Average Contrast can not in general be compared. Usually, for a given printing contrast CI will be lower than Gamma but it depends on the film curve.

---