[pure-silver] Re: Agfa Paper Equivalent

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 15:17:54 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "ERoustom" <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2008 5:28 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Agfa Paper Equivalent

On Jun 8, 2008, at 1:01 PM, Dennis Purdy wrote:

You might however give a try to EMAKS graded chlorobromide paper. I have been using it in the last week and though it is glossier than the old Agfa it has a finer more delicate rendition of fine detail than VC it seems to me.

Freestyle's website says the following regarding the Emaks: "Note: This paper is listed on the Fotokemika Emaks datasheet as grade #1 but it is actually closer to a grade #2 by U.S. contrast grade standards."

If I'm using Ilford VC and being used to its range (0-5), am I thinking of it in U.S. contrast, or European contrast?

E.
AFAIK there is an ISO standard for paper contrast. However, the curve _shape_ and surfaces can affect the visual contrast. Also, I have no idea of how well the smaller manufacturers follow the standards. Kodak and Ilford contrast was the same. At one time AGFA contrast numbers were one number higher than Kodak for the same contrast, i.e., AGFA No.3 was the same as Kodak No.2 but AGFA changed this many years ago (1980s I think but am not certain).

---