[pskmail] Re: Need PSKMail for Disaster Relief Operations

  • From: Per Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 15:00:11 +0200

Hi,

Yes, the 706 should be able to handle a good signal without modifying
the bandwidth. However, it will degrade the signal and problems will
start to appear with less good signals. A wider rig will not degrade the
signal and it will be able to handle much worse s/n ratios.

Speed is an interesting issue. I was asked to define how much bandwidth
will be needed for satcom on Swedish naval vessels. I started looking at
how many users there are and what systems to feed etc. I quickly
realized that not much is really needed, most of it ended up in the
"nice" column. The "need" column was so small that I couldn't really
mention it without people looking funny at me (hf should actually handle
it nicely). Then again they wanted broadband links to handle streaming
of football matches from the world cup... (so I gave up and gave them
that number ;-)).

But, I agree that more speed provides more possibilities. Rein and I
have been working to enhance compression, at the moment we have had
results that have turned PSK125 into "PSK350" (or PSK250 into "PSK700"
and 2400 bps STANAG4285 into "6720 bps"). The quotes mean relative speed
when compression is applied.

PSK250 is on the horizon and perhaps now even STANAG 4285, things are
looking good.
You mentioned DRM, I think that is interesting as well and I should have
tried that already but...