[pskmail] Re: Need PSKMail for Disaster Relief Operations

  • From: karel fassotte <karel.fassotte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 07:15:13 -0500

Per I forgot the mention that Charles gave me the software as it is.
I understand its open source under GPL. He did not claim anything. I asked him about the software and what had come out. He told me that he did not have the time to complete his efforts so he was willing to give it for further development. I have contacts to other people, not radio guys, these are computer people, also wanting to have a look at it.
73
Karel,hc1akp

At 02:07 a.m. 03/05/2007, you wrote:
Hi Karel,

Thanks very much for the attached file.
I discussed this with Charles a few years back and was ready to support
his efforts then. Unfortunately he was busy, understandably so, with his
commercial efforts and didn't have the time needed to continue improving
the software. STANAG 4285 is the NATO version of the mil-std and
naturally they couldn't use the standard but had to make changes, hi hi.
Its basically the same mode but the stanag lacks autobaud support
(receiver modem adjusts speed and interleaver to suit incoming traffic).
Speed can be set from 75 to 2400 bps and 2400 bps really does work.
Yes, there is 3600 bps as well but don't bother (perhaps for VHF ?).

A tiny problem with this mode is the bandwidth required, its made for
commercial rigs so it wants a rig that handles 300 - 3300 Hz.
They made STANAG 4529 go at half speed to reduce its bandwidth (1240 Hz)
so for ham use perhaps speed should be only slightly reduced (to keep
bandwith restricted as in RFSM).

I would very much like to have this mode available. One thing that
worries me a bit is the lack of license information in that archive.
Did Charles release this as GPL or how should this code be treated?

If he did release it as GPL then I would sure like to get it working.

Dave: I'll send the archive to you. Would you be interested in having
STANAG 4285 in fldigi ?

73 de Per, sm0rwo