[projectaon] Re: Another Milestone

  • From: "Jonathan Blake" <blake.jon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:08:39 -0700

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Robert Wellock <xhtmlcoder@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Will the improved versions be in UTF-8 and use NCR?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numeric_character_reference when it gets
> to XHTML since you only have '5 predefined entities' to choose from
> anyway.

By the time it gets to XHTML, it's actual binary encoded UTF-8, no
character references at all.

> The STRONG element is for extra/strong emphasis (not boldness) and
> technically is probably of less significance as how the actual quoted
> speech passage itself is marked up. Possibly with UPPERCASE it would
> give better visual clues that SHOUTING was going on...

The more I think about it, I think sentence case and exclamation
points should be enough to convey shouting. Another wrinkle is that
<foreign> currently gets transformed into italic text, so we would end
up with bold italic which is beyond the pale. This could be overcome
through CSS or changing how we handle foreign language text in the
XSL, but that's how it stands.