[projectaon] Re: Another Milestone

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 11:53:31 +0100

Hi all

Warning: If you're not interested in the minutiae of tedious editing of the XML files, then I'd advise you ignore this post and make yourselves a cup of tea.

Right, now there's just me, Jon, and Laurence left (and maybe a few more ;-) )

The major work on consistency fixing the XML files has been completed. Yay! :-)

Simon Osborne wrote:
I am free this week, so I am devoting myself to the XML. I intend to fix the following issues in all of the books:

(*) Frontmatter / Backmatter - currently only Books 25 and 28 to go.

Completed. This includes making each book's unique RNT part of the Backmatter.

(*) the serial comma - a regular expression search for ", [a-zA-Z]+ and" has turned out to be very useful, with far fewer false-positives than just searching for " and "! The serial comma has been implemented now in all instances in all books except 22, 24, 25, 28.

Completed in four passes:

, [a-zA-Z]+ and
, [a-zA-Z]+ or
, [a-zA-Z]+ [a-zA-Z]+ and
, [a-zA-Z]+ [a-zA-Z]+ or

This clearly hasn't found all instances where the serial comma is needed, but I'd estimate it has got 90%+ of them. The more words between the comma and "and" or "or", the more false-positives there are.

Done! (Except in 01hh)

(*) bow/Bow arrow/Arrow - I really want to see the back of this annoying issue!

Done!

(*) Illustration placements - small illustrations as per the Errata lists pending discussion nearer to release.

Done! The only books where the small illustrations haven't all been placed are 02smr, 03toz, and 04cc because I don't know the books that well. I did provide "template" data for each of the small illustrations, along with a brief description of the illustration, toward the end of each of those XML files.

(*) Illustration data to use PNG files - Jon, should I go ahead and do this?

Done! Ye gods, but that was boring!!

(*) Errata Lists - keep these up-to-date with fixes in the frontmatter sections, serial comma issues, and <blah>, then.

Still to do; will get done today or tomorrow.

(*) <ch.ellips/> - This now no longer requires a space before or after in the XML as the thinspace is added in conversion/CSS (is this correct?)

Fixed! One of the easiest fixes--a simple find/replace.

Giak is now all in <foreign> tags; I left the CAPITALISED speech as-is.

I have an Open Office spreadsheet to track all these things. The current version is on my webspace here: <http://www.projectaon.org/staff/simon/XML_Update.ods> It should be fairly self-explanatory what the things mean.

Updated.

If anyone can think of any other issues that should be searched for in all the books, please post them.

A tumbleweed blows through the Project Aon mailing list. Somewhere in the distance a cock crowed.

Oh, and in case anyone's wondering: No, I don't intend to do all the XML myself. What I am intending is to get as many irritating, fiddly things fixed so that others can help with the editing and XMLing more easily. That's the plan, anyway! :-)

Fiddly, irritating stuff done. If anyone would now like to fix the more obvious issues still outstanding against Books 21, 22, 24, 25, or 28, please feel free to do so.

Phew.