[projectaon] Re: Another Milestone

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 10:52:26 +0100

Jonathan Blake wrote:
Not only have all of the books now been transcribed and proofread
through the efforts of many valiant volunteers, I have just completed
the initial XMLization for the last of the remaining books. One more
stage of Project Aon that is now history (and it's one less thing that
I'm the bottleneck for).

Is it too soon to say "the end draweth nigh"? :)

Yes, because the amount of work that needs to be done to them is immense. And now that we have all the books in XML, I've been doing "Find in files" searches through all of them for common errors and finding many of them. :-/

I am free this week, so I am devoting myself to the XML. I intend to fix the following issues in all of the books:

(*) Frontmatter / Backmatter - currently only Books 25 and 28 to go.

(*) the serial comma - a regular expression search for ", [a-zA-Z]+ and" has turned out to be very useful, with far fewer false-positives than just searching for " and "! The serial comma has been implemented now in all instances in all books except 22, 24, 25, 28.

(*) bow/Bow arrow/Arrow - I really want to see the back of this annoying issue!

(*) Illustration placements - small illustrations as per the Errata lists pending discussion nearer to release.

(*) Illustration data to use PNG files - Jon, should I go ahead and do this?

(*) Errata Lists - keep these up-to-date with fixes in the frontmatter sections, serial comma issues, and <blah>, then.

(*) <ch.ellips/> - This now no longer requires a space before or after in the XML as the thinspace is added in conversion/CSS (is this correct?)

I have an Open Office spreadsheet to track all these things. The current version is on my webspace here: <http://www.projectaon.org/staff/simon/XML_Update.ods> It should be fairly self-explanatory what the things mean.

If anyone can think of any other issues that should be searched for in all the books, please post them.

Oh, and in case anyone's wondering: No, I don't intend to do all the XML myself. What I am intending is to get as many irritating, fiddly things fixed so that others can help with the editing and XMLing more easily. That's the plan, anyway! :-)

Burnt-out Project Aon Junkie