[projectaon] Re: 26tfobm errata

  • From: "Paulius Stepanas" <pstepanas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 02:16:57 +1100

Jonathan Blake wrote:

> > (ne) The Story So Far: footnote markers should not change the line
> > spacing
> > [PGS: In contrast to typeset books, HTML and Word both increase the
> > space above the current line when it contains a superscripted
> > character (such as a footnote marker). I believe this should be
> > avoided/corrected at all costs.]
>
> In the standard version, the difference in line spacing is minimal:
>
> http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/26tfobm/tssf.htm
>
> Minimal as it is, we can eliminate this through CSS.
>
> http://projectaon.org/staff/jonathan/test-footnote-line-spacing.html

Nice! I must remember this trick...

> While we're under the hood (bonnet?), I also increased the line height a bit
> to let the text breath a bit. What do
> you think?

Seems to work well with the chosen font. Can't say I really noticed. :)

> On the other hand, the simple and simpler versions have a very noticeable
> difference in line height:
>
> http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/26tfobm/title.htm#tssf-1
>
> The philosophy of the simple versions is to use minimal styling to make them
> as compatible as possible with as many
> HTML viewers as possible (e.g. mobile devices). For this, I think we should
> leave the line height etc. alone.

Fair enough. That certainly makes sense.

> > (ne) The Story So Far: em-dashes should have a space to either side
> > [PGS: Omitting the spaces (as indicated in the Manual of Style) is
> > contrary to the book, and also IMO looks far worse than including the
> > spaces. I realise most grammatical guides probably indicate no spaces
> > either side of an em-dash, but personally I've always thought this to
> > be a mistake, except where dialogue is being interrupted. For correct
> > line-breaking, the preceding space should be non-breaking, while the
> > following space should be normal.]
> > [so: See Wikipedia for more information. As we are following the
> > Oxford
> > (serial) comma, we also follow the Oxford non-spaced emdash. As it
> > happens, I find this more aesthetically pleasing than spaced endahes,
> > anyway. Adding non-breaking spaces increases the complexity of the code
> > unnecessarily, IMHO.
> > Spacing also becomes a problem when typesetting justified text either
> > online or in epub/PDF versions.]
>
> To do spaced emdashes properly, we'd need non-breaking hair space. The
> closest that Unicode offers is the narrow no-
> break space (U+202F). I'm dubious about how well browsers (especially ebook
> and mobile browsers) handle this
> character. To see what the open set emdash (using standard width spaces and
> an endash) would look like in the books,
> take another look at that test page:
>
> http://projectaon.org/staff/jonathan/test-footnote-line-spacing.html
>
> I'm with you on this one, Simon. I might like a bit of space surrounding the
> emdashes, but this is too much. I think
> we should leave this alone.

It does look overly spaced in paragraph 6 because the line in question
is short, so spaces are expanded during justification. It looks much
nicer in paragraph 8.

However, in both cases you're using an en-dash rather than an em-dash.
Mind you, so does the original book. :(

> > (ne) The Story So Far: War-thanes -> War Thanes [PGS: Should either go
> > back to the original version, or add this new version to the Manual of
> > Style.]
>
> I vote add it to the MoS. Here's the context for why we changed it:
>
> //www.freelists.org/post/projectaon/Errata-Sprint-Addendum-8-Welcome-Back-Jon

I still think it should be left like in the book.

> > (ne) The Story So Far: Sun-crystal -> Sun-Crystal [PGS: Should either
> > of Style.]
>
> Also add MoS. The general principle is that only the first letter of
> hyphenated compound words should be capitalized
> (cf. what we've done with Lord-lieutenant).

Huh. That looks odd to me. I say stick with the original book. :)

The rest looks good to me.

        Paulius