[projectaon] Re: 26tfobm errata

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 22:44:14 +0000

On 18/01/2013 19:41, Jonathan Blake wrote:
It's a slow start, but here are my reactions to the first few errata
for The Fall of Blood Mountain.

Since the weather here is so foul that I'm here at my computer on a Friday night, let's fix 'em ASAP.

~~~~~
(er)    The Story So Far:       my Lords -> my lords [lm: cf. three paragraphs
down]
(er)    The Story So Far [x2]:  my Lord -> my lord

Agreed. Scanning all of the books for occurrences of "my lord" reveals
that uncapitalized is used most often which actually is in
contradiction of our Manual of Style. I'd suggest we change our MoS
and standardize on lowercase "lord" except when next to a person's
name. The exception would be "Kai Lord".

Will look/audit tomorrow what other books require amendment. Agree that "lord" should be lowercase except when next to a person's name OR as a specific title (e.g. Kai Lord, Lord of Aarnak, etc.). Anyone want to make the amendment to the PAMoS?

(er)    The Story So Far:       Drodarin dwarves of Bor -> Drodarin Dwarves of
Bor

Leave as-is. "Drodarin dwarves" occurs only four times in all of the
books and always capitalized thus. I think of it as analogous to
"Sommlending men of Holmgard" or similar.

Rejected.

(er)    2, 110 [x2], 341 [x2]:  warhammer -> Warhammer

For sure not in 2 because you cannot yet acquire it as an item. Maybe
in the other sections where you can acquire it, but maybe it's better
to leave it uncapitalized there because it should really be recorded
as the "Andarin Warhammer". Thoughts?

Awaiting further input. Probably can Reject these proposals, though, since the proper name for the Special Item is the Andarin Warhammer.

(er)    2 [x2], 110, 127, 163, 174, 258, 285:   weapon -> Weapon

Although I now question the utility of this rule, following our Manual
of Style which says, "The words 'weapon', 'backpack', etc. will only
be capitalized when it refers directly to the Action Chart or to items
owned by the character, not in the general sense of those words. (e.g.
'Record this Weapon on your Action Chart', but 'The Giak has no
weapon'.)" we should not do this in 2 or 110, but make the changes in
127, 163, 174, 258, and 285.

OK. Went ahead and made similar changes to 55, 109, 112, 167, and 292. Also capitalised "Weapons" in 112, 144, 167, and 285.

In reading 167, also made the following change:

(er) 167: sheath it -> sheathe it

~~~~~

Also, the small illustrations are available and in need of placement.
Anyone care to take a first pass? :)

http://www.projectaon.org/data/trunk/en/png/lw/26tfobm/ill/williams/small1.png
http://www.projectaon.org/data/trunk/en/png/lw/26tfobm/ill/williams/small2.png
http://www.projectaon.org/data/trunk/en/png/lw/26tfobm/ill/williams/small3.png
http://www.projectaon.org/data/trunk/en/png/lw/26tfobm/ill/williams/small4.png
http://www.projectaon.org/data/trunk/en/png/lw/26tfobm/ill/williams/small5.png
http://www.projectaon.org/data/trunk/en/png/lw/26tfobm/ill/williams/small6.png
http://www.projectaon.org/data/trunk/en/png/lw/26tfobm/ill/williams/small7.png
http://www.projectaon.org/data/trunk/en/png/lw/26tfobm/ill/williams/small8.png
http://www.projectaon.org/data/trunk/en/png/lw/26tfobm/ill/williams/small9.png
http://www.projectaon.org/data/trunk/en/png/lw/26tfobm/ill/williams/small10.png
http://www.projectaon.org/data/trunk/en/png/lw/26tfobm/ill/williams/small11.png
http://www.projectaon.org/data/trunk/en/png/lw/26tfobm/ill/williams/small12.png

See <http://www.projectaon.org/en/Errata/TheFallOfBloodMountain> under the heading Illustration Placements for where I added them in temporarily.

Also, Jon, can you/do you need to run your script that automatically alters the xml to add the exact dimensions of the illustrations?