[projectaon] Re: 02smr Comment Period

  • From: Jonathan Blake <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Project Aon List <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 15:21:23 -0700

On Wed, 8 Apr 2015 at 14:37 Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

OK, most of these dealt with, just the following left:

On 08/04/2015 19:02, Jonathan Blake wrote:

> (er) 241: doorway—the rifleman and one other—armed with a -> doorway—the
> rifleman, and one other armed with a

In the XML, we have it as "Two more men in uniform emerge from the
doorway—the rifleman and one other, armed with a sawn-off shotgun." Is
this the original? That seems to work to me.

No. The original reads:

"Two more men in uniform emerge from the doorway—the rifleman and one
other—armed with a sawn-off shotgun."

I've implemented your wording above, though it still seems a little
ambiguous to me. Maybe "...and one other, who is armed with..."?

The comma probably isn't necessary, so how about "doorway—the rifleman
and one other who is armed with a sawn-off shotgun"?

For completeness, the wording for the "alt-text" to the puzzle in
Section 129 still needs to be written and added.

Thanks for the reminder. Here's my first shot at it. I don't know if
the caption text helps, but it does hint that the pattern proceeds
counterclockwise around the dials.

<caption>Each dial is divided into thirds like a pie. Going
counterclockwise around each dial, the first segment is in the lower
right of the dial, the second segment is at the top, and the third
segment is on the lower left.</caption>
<th scope="col">First Segment</th>
<th scope="col">Second Segment</th>
<th scope="col">Third Segment</th>
<th scope="row">First Dial</th>
<th scope="row">Second Dial</th>
<th scope="row">Third Dial</th>

Should we make that "anticlockwise" since the book uses so many
British-isms like "tyres" and "gaol"? I've never been more tempted to
switch all of these to American English. It's rather jarring to see
Texas drawl juxtaposed with British spellings. :)

Anything else?