Re: c++ fruit basket

  • From: "inthaneelf" <inthaneelf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:26:56 -0800

Gena,

that's not dim gal, anyone walking into the last third of a conversation will be a bit lost unless the first part is still attached and you go through it all, smile.

there are two things going on here, a discussion of the ability to make a C++ application more accessible, and a "fruit basket demo" which is a site, and a series of programs, called the fruit basket, which display the way to make this application in various languages, generally including commented code, notes on compiling (if needed) and an executable so folks can look over a similar project in several languages and select the language that makes the most sense for there style of thinking. an example: I myself work in Visual basic 6, an older visual basic language developed by Microsoft, there is a newer version of the language, visual basic.net, but there are differences in syntax, and other areas that make it more C like, which confuse me. and a true C language is very confusing to me.

by looking at some of the FBD's I have found that python is more VB like in its syntax, and therefore more comprehensible to me than C++, so if I decide to move on to another language I may well go to python, since it "reads easier" to me.

if you look under my name below, you will find links to two of my sights, the "grab bag" which is a site that has links and downloads to help the visually impaired programmer quickly get tools and information they need to succeed at programming. as well a few links that many of us find useful in general, like scripts for programs. and a link to the "fruit basket demo" site, where the before mentioned applications in assorted languages are stored and are available for download.

I hope this clears things up for you, on the other topic, your actual programming, I'll have to leave that to others who are expert, or more expert than I in your chosen language.

HTH,
Inthane
• For Blind Programming assistance, Information, Useful Programs, and Links to Jamal Mazrui's Text tutorial packages and Applications, visit me at:
http://grabbag.alacorncomputer.com
• to be able to view a simple programming project in several programming languages, visit the Fruit basket demo site at:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Georgina Joyce" <gena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 23:14:50 +0200
From: Octavian Rasnita <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes you are right.
I agree that Wx is for the moment the only somehow accessible GUI which is
portable on more operating systems. I also like the fact that it is some
more advanced than other GUIS. For the moment I am not so interested in its
portability, but I might be.

But I don't agree with that "list of successful programs".
It is a very small list of programs, and they are not what I understand by
"successful".

I understand by successful one of the following:
Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, MS Word, MS Excel, Mozilla Firefox,
Microsoft Age of Empires, Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun, Eidos Commandos, Nero Burning ROM, programs for using a TV Tunner, Windows Explorer, and many
other programs which are used by hundread of million people.

I didn't verify, but I doubt that some of them are made using Wx Widgets.

Even with the latest years .net hype, I think that most of their interfaces
are made using MFC (of course, with the exceptions of those like Firefox
that were started just to compete Microsoft).

But don't understand me wrong. I didn't say that I am not interested in
WxWidgets samples under C++.

Octavian