Re: c++ fruit basket

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:32:19 -0500 (EST)

GUI libraries do get compared in the fruit basket project, but so do
languages as well.  One can
observe how much object orientation is required, how much punctuation, how
much static versus duck typing, whether anonymous methods are supported,
and other aspects.  Of course, it is not a comprehensive comparison of
languages -- no single program could be.  I think it does give one a
flavor for how GUI coding works in that language.

Wx is a successful GUI library -- it would not still be around after 15
years with many ports and add-ons.  The web page at
http://www.wxcommunity.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index
currently
categorizes 162 applications (not to mention TextPal <smile>).  Wx is
certainly capable of being
incorporated in complex applications.  In fact, the problem with using
it in a fruit basket program is that it brings a lot of overhead with
classes that are not needed for that simple GUI program.

Jamal